How Do I Extend My Canadian Temporary Resident Visa?

How Do I Extend My Canadian Temporary Resident Visa?

If you are a temporary resident in Canada, then your visa is bound to expire sooner or later and you need to renew it to remain eligible.

Those who fall under the Temporary resident category are visitors or students who are coming to Canada for a visit, studies, or other activities for a duration of time.

The immigration officers would want to ensure that you would return to your home country as soon as your visa expires which is usually one of the questions you’d be asked during your visa interview.

You have the option to renew your visa before it expires. But for some visas, you will need to leave Canada and apply for a new visa. There are different visa types in Canada and we are going to outline the steps you could use to extend or renew them.

What you should know about extending your visa

While the Canadian authorities allow you to extend your temporary resident visa before they expire, you’d have to submit an application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), indicating your intentions to extend.

This process should be done whilst you status as a visitor is still very valid, some immigration experts would advise that you submit an application to extend at least 2 to 3 months before the expiry date.

It is guaranteed that you will be able to re-enter Canada on an extended visa, you should make more inquiries about that.

However, if you submitted an extension application early and your temporary resident visa expires while your application is still been processed, you would be allowed to remain in Canada awaiting when a decision is made on your application.

This is known as “Implied Status” but is now currently referred to as “Maintained Status.”

Requirements and Documents Need to Extend your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

  •  You must show documents that confirms you entered Canada legally
  •  The candidate has a valid study permit or work permit
  •  You have a valid Canada resident address
  •  Your status has not yet expired and has at least 30 days before your application was submitted.
  •  You have good reason for the extension

A Single Entry Visa

A single entry visa allows you to only enter the country once. The single entry visa usually allows you to stay for a period of six months which should start counting from the day you arrive.

If you leave the country on a single entry visa when your visa/status is still active, you will be required to obtain a new visa to re-enter the country.

However, if you are visiting the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon you would be allowed entry without having to get a new visa. This type of visa is usually very hard to renew except you have a good enough reason.

Multiple Entry Visa

This visa type allows you multiple entries into Canada. You will be allowed entry several times within the period your visa is valid. A multiple entry visa can stay valid for a maximum of 10 years which you could renew or extend a month prior to the expiry date.

One thing you should bear in mind is that you will not be allowed to renew or receive a multiple entry visa if your visa expiration date falls after the expiration date you have on your passport. So be sure to get a new passport before your visa expires.

Renewing a multiple entry visa is much easier and if you are someone that wants to travel between countries, then the best option for you would be to get a multiple entry visa.

Where to Submit your TRV Renewal Application

Many people will physically be in Canada even before it expires. However, if you happen not to be in Canada at the time, you can choose to submit your application via mail to the Visa Application Center (VAC) in the country where you reside.

You can also go in person. From the VAC office, your application will be then be transferred to the Canadian Visa Office for processing.

For those who are currently in the country, you can apply in person or mail your application to the Case Processing Pilot office in Ottawa (CPP-O). Your application can also be done online via the MyCIC website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.